> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Personal Injury > My mother forges My signature on a durable POA form and my cousin used it to do numerous bank transactions and transfer property. Can I sue them?

My mother forges My signature on a durable POA form and my cousin used it to do numerous bank transactions and transfer property. Can I sue them?

2 Answers. Asked on Jun 26th, 2017 on Personal Injury - New Jersey
More details to this question:
Answers Showing 2 out of 2
Answered on Jul 05th, 2017 at 3:07 PM

Depending upon when this occurred you would definitely have a case for a suit. As Ms. Anderson mentions, it is also a criminal matter and possible bank fraud, so you should notify the police and the bank as well. If you go to court and win, you would likely be entitled to damages in the amount of money you lost, plus attorney fees and court costs. Depending upon the facts, the bank may also be a target for the law suit if they had an obligation to confirm that the POA was legitimate.

Answers to any question is not to imply a lawyer-client relationship which can only be after a consultation and the signing of a retainer agreement disclosing what the terms of representation might be.

Report Abuse
Answered on Jun 27th, 2017 at 5:30 AM

First, you should put in writing that the signature is a forgery, and that they must stop using the document.  It might sound silly, but you have to provide written notice.  You should also contact the police and file a report.  You should go to each bank where the forged document was used and tell them that it was a forgery and not to accept the document.  You should also put that in writing and have each bank acknowledge that they received it.  You can file an action in Superior Court seeking to get back any funds they took.  

Report Abuse
Personal Injury
Have you been injured in accident that was someone else's fault? Has a doctor's mistake caused long-term health issues? Have you been hurt by a defective product? Under state personal injury laws, you may be entitled to compensation if you are hurt as a result of another person or company's negligent, reckless or deliberate actions. Personal injury lawyers work with the victims of all kinds of accidents, including auto accidents, motorcycle crashes, truck crashes, boating accidents, plane crashes, workplace injuries and railroad accidents. You should also hire a personal injury attorney if you've been injured as a result of dental or medical malpractice, a defective product, nursing home abuse, a slip and fall accident on someone else's property or a dog bite. Your personal injury law firm can help you collect money to pay for medical expenses, temporary or permanent disability, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other injury-related expenses.
Have an Personal Injury Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

360 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

239 Answers, 47 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

175 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

113 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

87 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

76 Answers, 32 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

73 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums