> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Personal Injury > Mom fell over step into woman''s bathroom on tour boat, boat docked, not moving. Is boat owner liable for pain&suffering?

Mom fell over step into woman''s bathroom on tour boat, boat docked, not moving. Is boat owner liable for pain&suffering?

1 Answers. Asked on May 03rd, 2012 on Personal Injury - Washington
More details to this question:
WA state, mom fell over step into bathroom. There are two tour boats which no steps are leading into bathroom except the ladies bathroom on one of the two tour boats. Fall happened two years ago. Mom never has been able to use arms since with raising them, holding something to read, bathroom or bathe self, nor dress or undress. She needs total care.Shattered both upper bones of arms. Surgery done on right arm only. Left arm had to heal on own. In Aug 2011 fell in home breaking right arm under metal plate and screws and broke left wrist. Family members placed her in nursing home to recover in which her bones healed but her mental state never returned to normal. Would like to know if the boat owner is liable for hospital bills and pain&suffering. This has affected her life. My dad and I are her caregivers at home. Thank you
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on May 04th, 2012 at 2:04 PM

A tour boat company must exercise the highest degree of care for the safety of the passenger. A failure to use such care is negligence and the tour boat company would be responsible for all damages cause by such negligence (including medical bills as well as pain and suffering). The main consideration would be whether or not the bathroom steps created a dangerous condition the boat company should have been aware of.


This response is general in nature and is not legal advice. No attorney client relationship is formed by it. Further, the response does not represent the opinions or views of LexisNexis or its affiliated companies.

Report Abuse
Personal Injury
Have you been injured in accident that was someone else's fault? Has a doctor's mistake caused long-term health issues? Have you been hurt by a defective product? Under state personal injury laws, you may be entitled to compensation if you are hurt as a result of another person or company's negligent, reckless or deliberate actions. Personal injury lawyers work with the victims of all kinds of accidents, including auto accidents, motorcycle crashes, truck crashes, boating accidents, plane crashes, workplace injuries and railroad accidents. You should also hire a personal injury attorney if you've been injured as a result of dental or medical malpractice, a defective product, nursing home abuse, a slip and fall accident on someone else's property or a dog bite. Your personal injury law firm can help you collect money to pay for medical expenses, temporary or permanent disability, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other injury-related expenses.
Have an Personal Injury Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

330 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

224 Answers, 42 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

181 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

99 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

98 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

84 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Stephen A. Black

Attorney - Florida

64 Answers, 11 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums